Frequently Asked Question
There are a few options to change your password. Make sure that your password complies to the requirements that hold for passwords as can be found here.
Using a GEWIS PC (physically)
If you are using a GEWIS PC, this is by far the easiest way to change your password.
- Sign in to the PC if you have not already done so
- Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the Windows Security prompt
- On this screen, click Change a Password
- Fill in your username, old password and twice a new password
Your password is now changed. Sometimes the connected network shares stop working after some time when you changed your password, so it is best to immediately sign out and sign back in using your NEW password
Using a GEWIS PC (remotely)
This works almost the same as when physically using a GEWIS PC, except for that you now connect using remote desktop. Please note that you can only sign in using remote desktop if your accounts has been assigned remote desktop privileges.
To open the Windows Security prompt on remote desktop, you hit CTRL+ALT+END
Using the webmail (remotely)
If you are not on campus and you have not been granted remote desktop privileges, the best way to change your password is by using the webmail. This only works for accounts that can sign in to the webmail.
- Sign in to the webmail on https://webmail.gewis.nl
- Click the gear icon to open settings
- While still on the "General" tab, click the "Password" section
- Enter your current password and a new password twice. Then, click the "Change" button.
Make sure the password complies to the requirements. If the requirements are not met, no error message is shown. Instead an empty window is shown.
- If your password was changed successfully, a popup is shown indicating that the change was successful.
Successful password change
Using an SSH connection (remotely)
If you are not on campus and you have not been granted remote desktop privileges and you don't have an email account, the best way to change your password is by using an SSH connection to any Linux GEWIS server that is in the domain. You can sign in to files.gewis.nl with committee accounts, but now with member accounts. It is possible to change the password for another account than you are currently using.
- Connect using SSH to files.gewis.nl
- Execute the following command:
smbpasswd -U username -r 184.108.40.206
Make sure to replace 'username' with your username (do not add @gewis.nl, @gewiswg.gewis.nl, GEWIS\ or GEWISWG\, but instead use your plain username)
- Fill in your new password twice. Make sure it complies to the requirements
Your password is now changed. It is best to sign off and back on to make sure everything keeps working